Connect with us

Latest News

Asari-Dokubo: Tinubu Bars Niger Delta Ex-agitators From Aso Rock

Published

on

The numerous requests for a courtesy visit to President Bola Tinubu by notable militant leaders and ethnic militias from the oil-rich region of Niger Delta in the villa have lately been rejected by the presidency.

There are strong indications that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has barred all ex-Niger Delta militant leaders from visiting him in the presidential villa, Abuja.

Already, our source learned that requests for courtesy visits by notable militant leaders and ethnic militias from the oil-rich region to Tinubu in the villa have lately been rejected by the presidency.

It was gathered that the decision was taken in the aftermath of the visit to Tinubu by the leader of the defunct Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force, (NDPVF), Alhaji Mujarhedeen Asari-Dokubo, on June 16 this year.

Asari-Dokubo, a die-hard and staunchest supporter of Tinubu, backed and supported the president in the run-up to the 2023 presidential election.

It was gathered that Tinubu, in ordering the action, was disturbed by public utterances and actions of Asari-Dokubo in the aftermath of his visit to him days after he assumed the mantle of leadership of the country.

AkwaIbom Daily reporter learned that Tinubu was bothered that all “verbal vituperation and militant activities” of Asari-Dokubo in the Niger Delta were thereafter linked to him after the June audience with the prominent activist.

As he stepped out of the Villa, Asari-Dokubo, in a chat with the State House reporters, took on the Armed Forces, accusing its personnel of being neck-deep in economic sabotage, especially crude oil theft and vandalism of oil equipment in the region.

The allegation, it was revealed, embarrassed and shocked Tinubu, especially because he made the shocking revelation, moments after departing his office.

Dependable sources in the presidency told REPORTER that Dokubo’s eruptions against the military within the setting of the villa gave the clue that the president shared the same views with the ex-militant commander.

OUR REPORTER gathered that the presidency was rattled by the attacks on the president by notable Nigerians over the utterances and actions of Asari-Dokubo, especially his effrontery in the reckless public assemblage of gun-wielding youths in his enclave in Rivers State.

The gun-bearing renegades often appeared in viral videos with Asari-Dokubo, assuming commanding roles.

Asari-Dokubo’s indecent conduct in the eyes of the presidency moved beyond the tolerable level when he took on the Rivers State governor, Siminalayi Fubara, threatening to deal with the chief executive of the oil-rich state.

The president was said to be irked that his association with the president continued to give a wrong signal to the public that he enjoyed the support and backing of the nation’s number one citizen.

Our Reporter learned that the president has ordered that he would no longer play host to the ex-militant commanders and militias in the villa apparently to forestall the negative impression and unenviable signal such association was likely to create in the psyche of the public.

To this end, one of our sources in the presidency told the news platform that all individuals known to be linked with the Niger Delta ethnic crisis and oil industry unrest in the region, who requested courtesy visits and audience with the president in the aftermath of the Asari-Dokubo’s experience, had their applications declined by the Presidency.

 

The president was said to have resolved to distance himself from some militant leaders (names withheld) given his experience with Asari-Dokubo.

A notable militant from the region, who requested an audience with the president last week, lamented to LEADERSHIP that his application was declined by the authorities in the nation’s seat of power.

The militant, who pleaded that his name should not be mentioned in print, said the presidency shunned all entreaties to enable him to meet with the President.

He said top officials of the presidency pointedly informed him that the President was not disposed to meeting with members of his group.

“I planned to lead my group to see Mr. President and we sent in our request as usual for that courtesy call in July. We have been waiting patiently for the approval of our application and the likely date for me to lead members of my Niger Delta group for an audience with Mr. President. But surprisingly, I got a telephone call that the proposed visit was declined.

 

“I exerted desperate pressure but the presidency refused to buckle. When I challenged them on why Asari-Dokubo was allowed to see Mr. President and they are preventing me, they were forced to tell me that the experience of the presidency after the visit of that name that I mentioned (Asari-Dokubo) informed the decision to bar all former militant commanders from further interactive meetings with Mr. President,” the source said.

Similarly, one of our sources in the presidency said, “The president has given a directive that he would not like to meet any Niger Delta warlord or ethnic militia after the horrible experience when he granted an audience to Mujarhedeen Asari-Dokubo. You know the man Asari is a strong supporter and adherent of Mr. President. But the management of the fallout of his visit to the Villa was a nightmare to the Presidency.

“You can recall that he came out of the president’s office to lampoon the Armed Forces, accusing its personnel of being the arrow heads of illegal bunkering in the Niger Delta. He has been seen arrogantly going about with many gun-wielding youths, boasting about the prowess of his private army to deal with constituted authorities, including the military and a sitting governor,

precisely Rivers State Governor, Mr. Fubara.

“Many Nigerians, who believed that his actions enjoyed the backing and support of Mr. President because of his closeness to him, have been pouring insults on Mr. President. It’s highly embarrassing and the Presidency decided that this mess has to stop. So, Mr. President will no longer allow these notable warlords, Asari- Dokubo would not be allowed into the Villa again to see him.

Meanwhile, the special adviser on media and publicity to the president, Ajuri Ngelale, has said he is not aware of the issue, let alone, the president’s directive on the matter.

“I have not heard any of such speculation going around within the State House. While we appreciate the desire for intriguing reportage, I think we should avoid speculative assumptions that have no verifiable basis in fact.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Police arrest man in connection to Tupac Shakur 1996 murder

Published

on

By

LAS VEGAS — Las Vegas police have arrested a man in the deadly 1996 drive-by shooting of Tupac Shakur, a long-awaited break in a case that has frustrated investigators and fascinated the public ever since the hip-hop icon was gunned down on the Las Vegas Strip 27 years ago.

Duane “Keffe D” Davis was arrested early Friday morning, although the exact charge or charges were not immediately clear, according to two officials with first-hand knowledge of the arrest. They were not authorized to speak publicly ahead of an expected indictment later Friday.

 

Davis has long been known to investigators and has himself admitted in interviews and in his 2019 tell-all memoir, “Compton Street Legend,” that he was in the Cadillac where the gunfire erupted during the September 1996 drive-by shooting. Shakur was 25 when he was gunned down.

Las Vegas police have arrested a man in the deadly 1996 drive-by shooting of Tupac Shakur, a long-awaited break in the case.

 

Continue Reading

Education

Commission Orders Akwa Ibom State Government To Change School Board Nomenclature

Published

on

By

THE Executive Secretary, National Senior Secondary Education Commission (NSSEC), Dr Iyela Ajayi, has called on Akwa Ibom State to change the nomenclature of State Secondary Education Board (SSEB) to State Senior Secondary Education Board (SSSEB).

This is contained in a statement made available to newsmen by the commission’s Head of Public Relations and Protocol, Fatima Bappare, in Abuja on Friday.

Bappare said Ajayi made the demand while speaking with the Deputy Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Dr Akon Eyakenyi, during a courtesy call.

He explained that Section 21, sub-section 2 of the NSSEC Act 2003, provided for states to comply by establishing SSEBs.

He said the Act also directed states to contribute at least five per cent as the counterpart funding to qualify for the NSSEC intervention fund.

Ajayi further stressed the need for state SSEBs to be represented on the national body with the composition and functions as provided in the Act.

This, he said, would assist in fast tracking legislative processes as well as drafting and passage of the Executive Bill by the State Houses of Assembly, uniformity of all SSSEB Laws, and elimination of any contradicting provision that would exclude states from benefiting from the NSSEC fund.

“Establishment of the state Senior Secondary Education Boards will also give room for smooth implementation of NSSEC functions and mandate in all states,” he said.

Ajayi also appealed to the Akwa Ibom State government to provide a furnished office for use as the commission’s provisional office, as well as land in Uyo for the commission to erect its South-South zonal office.

Responding, the Deputy Governor, Eyakenyi, expressed the state government’s willingness to collaborate with the commission.

She further disclosed that land had already been earmarked for the SSSEB in Uyo, while assuring the commission that Akwa Ibom State was adequately prepared to draft and pass the Executive Bill while the State House of Assembly was also ready for its speedy passage.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Justice For Mohbad: We Have Arrested Sam Larry — Lagos Police PRO, Benjamin Hundeyin

Published

on

By

Lagos Police PRO, Mr. Benjamin Hundeyin has revealed that Sam Larry is now in their custody.

He said Balogun Olamilekan Eletu aka Sam Larry is now in their custody and he is currently assisting with the ongoing investigation.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 Akwa Ibom Daily. Designed by JEK