Connect with us

Politics

Army Take Over Zimbabwe-bbc News(photos)

Published

on

The military has seized control in Zimbabwe but has said President Robert Mugabe, in power since 1980, is safe.
After seizing state TV, an army spokesman announced it was targeting people close to Mr Mugabe who had caused “social and economic suffering”.
The move came after Mr Mugabe sacked his deputy, Emmerson Mnangagwa, in favour of his wife, Grace.
Heavy gun and artillery fire could be heard in northern parts of the capital Harare early on Wednesday.
A statement read out by a general on air denied it was a coup and said Mr Mugabe was safe but did not say where.

What we know so far

The rise of Grace Mugabe
There was no immediate word from Mr Mugabe himself.
Mr Mugabe, 93, has dominated the impoverished country’s political scene since independence from the UK.
The UK Foreign Office advised Britons “currently in Harare to remain safely at home or in their accommodation until the situation becomes clearer”, while the US embassy in Harare advised US citizens in Zimbabwe to “shelter in place” until further notice.
Skip Twitter post by @usembassyharare
Due to ongoing uncertainty in Zimbabwe, the U.S. Embassy in Harare will be minimally staffed and closed to the public on November 15. Embassy personnel will continue to monitor the situation closely. @StateDept

— U.S. Embassy Harare (@usembassyharare) November 15, 2017
Report
End of Twitter post by @usembassyharare
How did the military justify its move?
Soldiers overran the headquarters of the ZBC broadcaster after armoured vehicles took up position on roads around Harare on Tuesday.
Maj Gen Sibusiso Moyo went on air to say the military wished to “assure the nation that his Excellency the president… and his family are safe and sound and their security is guaranteed”.

“We are only targeting criminals around him who are committing crimes… that are causing social and economic suffering in the country,” he said.
“As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy.”
Other key points of the statement included:
Citizens should remain calm and limit unnecessary movement
The military assures the Zimbabwean judiciary that its independence is guaranteed
Security services should “co-operate for the good of our country” and any provocation would “be met with an appropriate response”
All leave for the defence forces is cancelled and personnel should return to barracks immediately
It is not clear who is leading the military action. Army chief Gen Constantino Chiwenga had said the army was prepared to act to end purges within the ruling Zanu-PF party.

Who else has been detained?

A government source told Reuters news agency that Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo had been detained.
He is a leading member of a faction of Zanu-PF led by Mr Mugabe’s wife Grace.

Is this a coup?
Alex Magaisa, former adviser to Zimbabwean opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai, told the BBC he did not believe the military’s claim that they had not carried out a coup.

General Chiwenga had warned of a military takeover
“They have decided not to call it a coup because they know that a coup does not sell, it will be condemned,” he said.
“But as far as authority is concerned it seems very clear that President Mugabe is now just a president in name and authority is now residing in the military.”
Zanu-PF had accused Gen Chiwenga of “treasonable conduct” after he issued his warning that he army might intervene.
What do we know of the fighting?
The firing was coming from northern suburbs where Mr Mugabe and a number of government officials live, the BBC’s Shingai Nyoka reports from Harare.
A witness told AFP news agency it could be heard near Mr Mugabe’s residence in the suburb of Borrowdale early on Wednesday,
Some staff at ZBC were manhandled when the soldiers moved in, sources told Reuters. Workers were told that they “should not worry”, a source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Politics

Amaechi Vows To Release Names Of Those Sabotaging Security

Published

on

By


Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi has said that cabals are frustrating the recently approved $198m maritime security contract.

Amaechi vowed to publicly mention names of saboteurs while speaking at a Maritime Stakeholders’ Interactive Forum held in Warri, Delta State on Thursday.

He said “Reason, why vessels will not come to the Eastern ports, is because there is war insurance due to insecurity in the ports here.

“The war insurance means if the goods cost N10,000 in Lagos, it will cost N20,000 here because there is an extra cost on it due to Insecurity issues. Even as a minister, I can’t enter a boat ride from Warri to Port Harcourt due to insecurity issues, but I can move around Lagos at any time of the day.

“I once asked a former Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, why people from Anambra don’t import from Port Harcourt port, and he said it cost less to import from Lagos and move to Onitsha even with the price they pay on the road. It is cheaper to import from Lagos to Aba, yet Aba to Port Harcourt is a 30-minute drive.

“For shipowners, you need to do a petition to Mr President. The President approved a contract of $195m for maritime security, but there are people in the system sabotaging the contract because it will restore security in the water. I won’t say who they are until it gets out of control. We are still battling for the contract to take place, but if it gets out of place, we will name them publicly, including the security people involved.

“There are people who make billions of Dollars from the insecurity on the water, so they don’t want security on the water because if we secure the water, all their rubbish will go.

“There are businesses which provide the vessel for oil companies in the name of providing security. The moment we secure the water, they are out of jobs?

Continue Reading

Politics

Prison Officer Brutalizes Son, Injures Him For Playing Football (Graphic)

Published

on

By

According to a photographer who shared photos of a teenage boy brutalized by his father, almost went into coma after he sustained a deep injury on his head, just for playing football.

The Nigerian Prisons staff beats his son from 7:00pm till 2:30 am, says report.

See what the photographer/Instagram user wrote..

This happened at Oluwatedo area of Ibadan, Mr Adepoju Biodun is married with three kids,he works with Nigerian prison service Agodi,ibadan.his eldest child is Israel, On 16th February 2018 Israel went to play football and after the football his father beat him from 7:00pm till 2:30am in the early hours of Saturday till he sustained a deep cut on his head with blood everywhere in the house.his the appropriate way to correct or chastise our child. This is beyond chastisement. Israel was beaten to coma before he was later rushed to Don Bosco specialist hospital Ogungbade. I will soon upload the surface area of the deep cut as soon as they open it.his siblings also tolu and praise served severe punishment, they were relieved as soon as Israel was rushed to the hospital. Please share until the appropriate authorities sees this especially Nigerian prisons, UNICEF. #UNICEF #law #crazyfather #ibadan #opayemioludayo
#tolanialli #bayoomoboriowo #michaelomoboriowophotography #ajimobi #florenceajimobi #lawyer #nigerianprison #nigerianprison #freshfm #splashfm #inspirationfm

Beating for your son for playing football? My God.

Someone please remind him how much Neymar is worth per week!!! Kaii

There is another angle to look at this… No father in his right mind would do this to his own son!!! This is a clear case MENTAL ILLNESS/TRUMA probably due to the nature of his work. I am not a psychologist but I know in that in Nigeria  we lack the culture of looking out for the signs of mental fatigue amongst our workers in all sector. Military /Paramilitary have no proper way of been evaluated for any form of work trauma. This man could be having or experiencing trauma as the result of the nature of his job. May God help him and his family.

Continue Reading

Politics

UYO STATE LAWMAKER RESCUES PUPILS AGAIN …DONATES DESKS TO SCHOOL

Published

on

By

The member representing Uyo State Constituency in the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Monday Eyo Okon, on Friday, donated 120 desks to the pupils of Government Primary School, Aka Offot, Uyo Local Government Area.

Hon. Monday Eyo who described Education as a bedrock of any society, and for any society to make progress, stated that when the foundation that is the primary level of education is well laid, motivated and properly activated, the child who is at the centre of learning is well prepared, informed and sharpened for the future both mentally and physically.

Headmaster of the School, Mr. Simon Edet Eyo, alongside the Village Head of Aka 1, Eteidung Francis, Hon. Kufre Mendi, while receiving the Lawmaker, commended him for his kind gesture and rapid response to the plight of the pupils within the short notice of time.

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP RESPONSIBLE FOR FUEL HIKE- Don Etiebet …BLAMES OBJ,JONATHAN FOR OIL SPILLS IN NIGER DELTA

Published

on

By

Former Petroleum Minister Chief Don Etiebet says the current fuel crisis in Nigeria is caused by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party.

Speaking in an interview in Uyo, Chief Etiebet the APC leader in Akwa Ibom explained that the petroleum distribution in Nigeria is controlled by PDP members who are causing the fuel hike to project President Muhammadu Buhari as a failure.

Buhari is the substantive Ministet of Petroleum in Nigeria.

“Who are still controlling the petroleum distribution in Nigeria; it is still the original PDP marketers.”

He attributed the fuel hike to the impending elections in the country, saying it is an attempt by the PDP marketers to discredit APC.

 “Election time is coming and they are doing all kinds of thing for petrol not to be available, and what do they want? They want increase I petrol price so that they can use that against APC”

Etiebet, who was minister of petroleum under Gen. Sani Abacha attributed all oil spill in the South-South Zone to illegal bunkering.

He said illegal bunkering in Nigeria where sponsored by the previous Government OF Chief Olusegu Obasanjo and Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

“Many Government in the past even up to the last Government have been supporting illegal bunkering; please quote me, I am the former minister for petroleum and I know the details”

On the proposed reintroduction of onshore/offshore oil dichotomy by the APC restructuring Committee, Dr. Etiebet said there was nothing wrong with the committee report.

“ I believe what the committee meant maybe oil discovered or produced outside that isoba boundary.”

He assured that president buhari has done well for Akwa Ibom with the development programme been seen in all part  Akwa Ibom state and urged Akwa Ibom people to rally round him for the re-election of President Buhari in 2019

Continue Reading

Politics

The NANS JCC Chairman Comrade. Ekanem Utibe seeks for partnership with wema bank

Published

on

By

By Our Source

****Pleads with Bank to erect an Atm machine at heritage polytechnic and other tertiary institution in state
Akwa Ibom State NANS JCC Chairman Comrade Ekanem Utibe, accompanied by the Secretary General Comr. Akanimo Ifiokonon, Director of sports Comr. Akan Udom, P. R. O Comr.  Kokoette Udom and Enoima Monday Udosoh Monday, were today received by the Dir of Special Duty of WEMA BANK Mr Victor Akpan at Eket LGA branch who directed to the office of the branch service manager.
The chairman appealed to the bank management to assist the students community by erecting an Atm Machine at the campus for the benefit of Nigerian students and the bank. 
More Details Loading 

Continue Reading

Trending